Ads Are Getting Slicker, More Devious ~ Party Political

Friday, November 16, 2007

Ads Are Getting Slicker, More Devious

Every once in a while I'll see an ad that simultaneously engages me and bothers me at the same time. There will be some fun, upbeat scenario, but the ad will be emphasizing taking pills or supersizing myself or something. It points up how much better ads have gotten at hiding their evil undertones.

Not that every ad is evil. But what is the point of advertising? To make the person being advertised to take some action. It could be to pop some pills, eat some food, or go shopping. Whatever. Ads want you to obey.

There's an old idea about how the Devil is extremely attractive. Not only is it necessary in order to convince good people to do wrong, the wrong itself is usually seductive as well. To me, ads are getting more and more seductive, and better at hiding the negative aspects of "just going with the flow." I sometimes wonder if there are people out there who don't comprehend in the least the negative underbelly of ads, and only see what advertisers want them to see. And then they only think what the ads are designed to make them think. "Do this, and all your problems will be solved!"

I've been thinking about buying that new home gym machine...

If you liked this post, please subscribe to my RSS feed.

No comments: