No Torture, Please ~ Party Political

Saturday, December 1, 2007

No Torture, Please

Another thing I remember from the CNN YouTube debate was the variation among responses to the question of whether or not waterboarding is considered torture. Up to that point, I thought Mitt Romney had been doing well. But then he said he didn't think it was safe to publicly define interrogation techniques, because that would allow terrorists to better train themselves to withstand such tactics.

I agree. That makes sense. However, I still don't feel that any form of torture needs to be used. I don't think it should be used either. And besides, they say it doesn't produce reliable intelligence, anyway.

I believe Romney made a valid point in order to avoid the question. It would seem that even if waterboarding were considered torture, it would be allowable under "certain" circumstances, along with many other horrible techniques, with Romney as President. And I don't want that to happen.

Senator John McCain, on the other hand, seems completely against mistreatment of prisoners. I think part of what makes America great is the high standards it (usually) holds itself to. It sounds to me like McCain is all for the preservation of these standards.

If you liked this post, please subscribe to my RSS feed.

No comments: